Crispy homemade “tater tots” with ‘nade
Ok so they aren’t really tater tots, they’re just crispy, golden brown, potatoes layered with spices and butter. Yum.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 1 hour
Note: Potatoes brown quickly when exposed to air because they are packed with starch. When preparing your tots, do not allow sliced potatoes to sit or oxidation will occur. Do not put your slices of potatoes into water.
- 6 - 8 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/16 inch thick
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line an 8x12 inch roasting pan with foil.
- Place sliced potatoes in layers onto foil, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and pour over the top potato layer.
- Place another tin over the layers to compress, then bake for 40 minutes, checking with a toothpick.
- Once cooked, chill potatoes in the fridge until firm — for best results, leave potatoes overnight in fridge.
- Remove potatoes from the tin and cut into 2x5 centimeter rectangles.
- Deep fry until golden brown and crispy and serve with ‘nade to dip.