Classic roast chicken with potatoes
Prepare yourselves for the best roast chicken you’ve ever tasted, with potatoes that taste even better. Nothing makes a heartier, more savory meal than this tried and true classic!
Serves: 2 - 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Note: While the chicken sits in the salt rub, begin to prep the potatoes and get your pan hot!
- 2.5 - 3 lbs organic chicken, whole
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs baby Yukon potatoes, halved
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots, cut in 1/8ths
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dry chicken with paper towels, inside and out, then heavily season with salt, inside and outside. Let sit for 20 minutes at room temp - this is a good time to start to prep the potatoes and heat the pan.
- With paper towels, dry chicken, then season generously with black pepper.
- In a large skillet on high heat add olive oil, heating ‘til just barely smoking.
- Place chicken breast side down into pan and cook 2 - 3 minutes, until skin is golden brown, then rotate to one side, cooking ‘til golden, then onto the back ‘til golden, then to the other side ‘til golden.
- While on the stove on high heat, add garlic, shallot, and potatoes around the chicken, seasoning with salt. Try to avoid re-seasoning the bird. Add cold butter around potatoes.
- Let pan get back to hot temp, about 2 minutes, then put bird into the oven.
- Cook bird without opening oven for 30 minutes, aim for 155°F using a probe thermometer.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 20 minutes on top of potatoes.
- Remove from potatoes and put potatoes back into oven to reheat.
- Butcher chicken and slice. Tip: if legs are undercooked slightly, no problem, return to oven for 5 - 10 minutes to finish cooking.
- Serve with hot potatoes and ‘nade on the side.