Spicy shrimp tacos with pickled cabbage, avocado, and cilantro
Tacos so good you’ll be wishing every night was Tuesday, no matter what your Wednesday has in store. Feel free to add or subtract to this recipe according to your preferences, and don't forget to experiment. ¡Buen provecho!
Serves: Makes 8 tacos
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 45 minutes
Note: Before you start cooking, prepare all your ingredients and place them in bowls near your cooktop so you can focus on stir-frying, as the high-heat makes the cooking process go quickly.
2 tbsp tomato paste
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 fresh 16/20 (jumbo) shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut in half head to tail
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp whole coriander seed
- 4 sprigs basil
- ⅛ medium green cabbage, sliced extremely thin
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, sliced julienne using a mandoline if possible
- 2 scallions, white and light green part only, save green tops for garnish
- ½ jalapeño, sliced thin from the tip, seeds removed
- 8 corn tortillas, cooked with little oil and kept in warm container
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- green scallion tops, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- Combine tomato paste, garlic powder, and extra virgin olive oil. Mix well, then toss shrimp into mixture. Refrigerate.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a pan and heat on high until smoking.
- Remove shrimp from fridge, season with salt, and cook immediately, sautéing ‘til shrimp are seared hard and just cooked through.
- Remove pan from heat and hold warm with all of the juices from cooking.
- In a small pot, heat white wine vinegar, salt, sugar, and coriander to a boil, remove from heat and steep with basil for 5 minutes.
- Combine cabbage, carrot, scallions, and jalapeño into a bowl.
- Remove basil from pot, squeezing out excess liquid, and discard.
- While still slightly warm, pour pickling liquid over cabbage mix, leaving in as much coriander seed as possible, and let cool.
We’ve built a taco or two in our day. We suggest building yours in this order —
1 hot tortilla >> 1 tbsp ‘nade >> 4 pieces cooked shrimp >> 2 slices avocado >> generous amount of pickled cabbage >> a fat pinch of cilantro >> a pinch of scallion tops >> top with a squeeze of lime wedge and enjoy!